Monday, December 5, 2011

Painting session at PNCA

Yesterday afternoon, I attended the Sunday session for live model drawing/painting.
When I came home with my painting from the final long pose, I ended up with the painting below-

painting from life  'Just Paint It!'
I liked it, but wanted to see if reworking, to soften the shapes by blending the color, and adjusting the facial features into a manner that would be gentler, would strengthen the figure visually.
I love working from a live model, but sometimes wonder if capturing the live moment 'holds up'.
The painting changed so much, I experienced why en plein air painting often specifically requests the artist to restrict work of paintings to only an additional .5%  after retiring from the original session.

'Edit This!'
Hence, this second photo shows the painting as it looks now,  adjusting to try and make it look more 'formal' visually.  Although  eventually I will have a better understanding in this next process, I think that rather than change my original, I'll just begin anew and use my original as a guide, like they did 'back in the day'!

No comments:

Post a Comment