Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Study from DVD

     Watched a DVD on  Dramatic Values by M. Katherine Hurley left me with this 'do along' study.
She really likes to keep the tone application limited to black pastel, and then uses a variety of erasers and burnishing tools to develop form and visual volume. My favorite tidbits from her technique discussed fog and the soft edges it has. Although in my value study here the Fog toward the back of the picture is not obvious, I became aware of the importance of hard and soft edges, and the role they play visually. Paying attention to this in a value study is as important as the tone and helps to direct the focus for a final piece.
This is really a thumbnail study, measuring about 3"x3", and was a challenge cause of the size of erasers I was using. I chose a small scale format so I could follow along step by step without feeling rushed.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Marcia! Your drawing does show a contrast between sharper and soft edges and a variety of textures as well as values.

    ReplyDelete